November 7, 2013

Giant Fashion Undies (GFUs)

I always love Burberry collections, so there isn't much to say there. I mean, this is gorgeous:

(via

This I would wear immediately, no questions asked: 

 (via)

And this has some awesome cool twisty parts and makes me fantasize about that fabulous movie premiere I will someday attend to which I will wear it:

(via)

But then there were the undies. The Giant Fashion Undies that never make appearances in real life, save a red carpet here and there, but which serve as an alternative to slips or lining things on the runway. Why is this?

 (via/via)

Easier to have the ladies slip into a big panty than line dresses and skirts? That can't be it. It shows off the intricacies of the design more if there are legs behind rather than similarly colored fabric? Maybe. It's more racy and thus runway appropriate? I don't know! I just know Giant Fashion Undies are everywhere. Here they are at Dolce and Gabbana Spring 2011 and Marchesa Spring 2014:

(via/via)

This is nothing new, but I really just don't get it. I can look at pics of Burberry's runway show and want to wear nearly everything but only because I mentally am adding in the lining. It just really makes me wonder what the designer's (in this case Christopher Bailey's) intention is. Is it offensive to want them lined because that goes against the designer's intentional choice?

If I were super fancy, here is where I would transition to an interview with a designer or someone who actually has the answer to these questions. But alas, I am not fancy AND cannot find anything Google about this phenomenon (yes, it's a phenomenon). I did read Style.com's runway review in which the writer commented on the Burberry big bottoms saying, "If his promotion of Nottingham lace also seemed like an advertisement for the biggest underpants known to womankind, that was merely one of the more logical facets of his celebration of the English Rose, a woman who probably couldn't give a good goddamn about thongs and such."

Now I don't know if that's a fact gotten from Bailey himself, or an assumption the writer made to make the GFUs make sense. Seems like a bit of a stretch, right? Can't we just get some lining up in there?

In the end though, I'm not really any steps closer to knowing what's up with the underpants. (Maybe you have some idea?), but I do still realllllly like the collection so I'll leave you with some more pretty pictures instead. Sew in the lining yourself.

(via/via)


Burberry Spring 2014 Polka DotsBurberry Spring 2014 Pink Coat
 (via/via)


(Note: Yes, I am late to the Writing About Fashion Week game, but in my defense, I wrote this when it was still timely I just didn't have it ready to publish and, more importantly, it is most definitely not Spring 2014 yet so I will continue writing about already past Fashion Week things as I see fit. So there! Ha!)

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I love ALL these pieces; so lovely. Thanks hun for the lovely comment you left on my blog, am loving your blog, wanna follow each other?
    Afeeyah xo

    New post ~ http://smilerrr.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/caudalie-instant-foaming-cleanser-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Just followed you on Bloglovin!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! Dying over GFUs. It's so true -- what's the point? They end up lining them anyway before they're sold, and I could argue that it takes away from the focus on the clothes if you're just staring at a model's undies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first outfit is the best!

    And about the undies.. well... they could have been intended as a bathing suits, but that's not very likely!


    F&F

    http://attireclub.org

    ReplyDelete